sleep phrasal verbs

SLEEP Vocabulary: 12 Common Sleep Phrasal Verbs 👉 🅿️

  • Wake up: Stop sleeping
  • Get up: Stop sleeping and leave bed
  • Lie down: Rest on your back
  • Sleep in: Sleep longer than wanted
  • Drop off: Fall asleep easily, without intending to
  • Sleep over: Sleep at a friend’s house
  • Lie in: Stay in bed after the time you usually get up
  • Stay up: Go to bed later than usual
  • Go off: Ring
  • Sleep through: sleep continuously for a long time
  • Sleep on it: Delay making a decision until the following day
  • Doze off: Go to sleep especially when you did not intend to
  • Phrasal Verbs Used in Sentences

    • Different drugs act on (affect) different parts of our body in many different ways.
    • Children may act up (cause trouble) in class in an effort to get attention.
    • I will answer for (guarantee) his debt, if he can’t pay on the day.
    • Could you back off (lower the setting of) the volume a bit? It’s really loud.
    • That beeping sound indicates that the truck is backing up (moving backwards).
    • I couldn’t see how to finish the project, so I backed up (undo) and tried it another way.
    • I expect John will be along (arrive) soon.
    • I got some bad news this morning, so I‘m a bit down (depressed) at the moment.
    • Because of the big sale, the price of these shirts is now down to (be reduced) four dollars
    • I think you are down with (be ill) the flu.
    • I‘m fed up (be bored) with my job.
    • I’m sorry; I’m not with (agree with) you on this point.
    • beat off (waste time) at work all day; I didn’t get anything done.
    • She was brought up in a very religious household, but broke away (leave suddenly) from the church in her teens.
    • I’ve decided to break it off (end a relationship) with her.
    • I finally broke into (opened) the second package of cookies.
    • I hope to bring about (achieve) a successful conclusion.
    • Sam was sure he could bring them around (convince) to the deal.
    • The latest budget reforms are intended to bring down (reduce) the level of inflation.
    • He has the ability to bring forth (create) new ideas when they are needed.
    • Don’t bring up (mention) politics if you want to have a quiet conversation with that guy.
    • She did well enough bringing up (raise) two sons and a daughter on her own.
    • I was very ill today; I kept bringing up (vomit) everything I ate.
    • I need a truck to carry off (transport away) all this furniture.
    • Malaria carried off (cause death) many people.
    • It is difficult to carry on (maintain) a conversation with so many distractions.
    • She finally carried out (fulfill) her lifelong ambition when she appeared in a Hollywood blockbuster.
    • The government has called for (request) an end to hostilities in the region.
    • He checked out (investigate) the rumor, and managed to verify that it was true.
    • We checked by (visit) the office to see if the stuff was ready.
    • Can you tell me how the accident came about (happen)?
    • Don’t try to come after (follow) me.
    • I’d like you to come along (accompany) with me to the opera.
    • Your English is really coming along (make progress)!
    • The cup just came apart (break) in my hands.
    • As I backed away, he came at (attack) me with a knife.
    • I′m not going to come at (try) that again. Too risky.
    • I left work and came back (return) home early.
    • comes before (precede) G in the alphabet.
    • Real estate prices have come down (decrease) since the peak of the boom.
    • The company came down on (punish) him very hard after he was found skipping work.
    • Please come in (enter) and look around.
    • That flight just came in (arrive).
    • After his father died, he came into (inherit) a large fortune.
    • Did the trip to Paris ever come off (take place)?
    • The new garden is coming on (develop) nicely.
    • I apologise for my behaviour last night. I don’t know what came over (affect) me.
    • The team came through (succeed) in the end and won the pennant.
    • I’ll let you know if any vacancies come up (happen).
    • He came up (appear) before a judge and was fined a thousand dollars.          
    • It’ll be warmer once the sun comes up (rise).
    • We’re going out to lunch. Do you want to come with (join)?
    • We need to cut back heavily on (reduce) office supplies. 
    • If we cut out (remove) the middle-man, we will both have better profits.
    • He has his work cut out (arrange) for him.
    • That is where your reasoning falls down (fail).
    • It seemed like a good idea, so we fell in with (accept) it.
    • How are you getting along with (handle) your schoolwork?
    • I don’t understand. What are you getting at (mean)?
    • I‘ve got some things to do for about an hour. After that, get at (contact) me.
    • The train got away (depart) exactly on time.
    • She claims the publishers never really got behind (support) her new book.
    • Nothing gets me down (discourage) so much as a rainy day.
    • Jane’s always getting down on (criticise) the kids.
    • If I wake up during the night, I cannot get off (fall asleep) again.
    • In case of fire, get out (escape) by the nearest exit.
    • I’m trying to get over (overcome) my fear of flying.
    • She got through (finish) her book this morning!
    • He got up (criticise) me about the mess I made in the kitchen.
    • Give me back (return) my book!
    • What he did goes against (violate) the rules.
    • Careful, he’ll go for (attack) your throat!
    • Management won’t go for (accept) such a risky project now.
    • The bomb went off (explode) right after the president left his office.
    • He went off (leave) without a word.
    • He went on (proceed) to win a gold medal.
    • Please go out (leave) through the back door.
    • Hang on (wait a moment). Let me check
    • Hold up (wait) a minute. I want to check something.
    • The dam can’t hold back (stop) that much water.
    • held down (continue) that job for years.
    • How long can they hold out (survive) without water?
    • We will have to hold over (save) these files until tomorrow.
    • He tried to keep away from (avoid) danger.
    • Let’s kick off (start) this project with a planning meeting.
    • The rent has been kicked up (increase) again.
    • I’m going to stay at home on Saturday and just kick back (relax).
    • They knocked out (complete) the entire project in one night.
    • I promised him I would meet him there, and I will not let him down (disappoint).
    • He accidentally let out (disclose) the location for the meeting.
    • The rain shows no sign of letting up (stop).
    • I can’t find my keys, so I’ll look around (search).
    • looked at (consider) the possibility of buying a new car.
    • Thieves made away with (steal) £30,000 of jewellery in last night’s heist.
    • The new computers make for (contribute) much greater productivity.
    • The men made off (escape) as the police arrived.
    • Kids! Stop messing about (misbehave) and do your work!
    • Don’t mess around (play) with electricity if you don’t understand it.
    • After a long battle with cancer, the professor passed away (die) yesterday.
    • The millennium passed off (happen) without any disasters.
    • I’ll pass on (skip) dessert, thanks.
    • We’ll pass out (distribute) copies of the agenda.
    • I want to pass over (ignore) this quite quickly.
    • He passed up (refuse) my invitation for dinner.
    • Did you pick up (notice) his nervousness?
    • I’m calling him, but he just isn’t picking up (answer)!
    • Children who do not receive enough attention may begin to play up (misbehave).
    • He pulls in (earn) a lot of money.
    • We put down (pay) a $1,000 deposit.
    • Put down (write) the first thing you think of on this piece of paper.
    • put in (contribute) an extra hour at work today.
    • The storm put the game off (delay) by a week.
    • The factory puts out (produce) 5000 units each day.
    • Please hold the line a moment while I put you through (connect) to the sales office.
    • That dog will get hurt if he continues to run after (chase) cars.
    • The guys who robbed the bank last week have finally been run in (arrest).
    • The option will run out (expire) next week and I can’t get it extended.
    • Before we start the project, let’s just run over (describe briefly) who is doing what.
    • Two youths set about (attack) him.
    • How much do you suppose that fancy dress set her back (cost money)?
    • Could you speak up (talk more loudly)? I can’t hear you.
    • I can’t simply stand by (do nothing) and watch you ruin your life.
    • We won’t stand for (tolerate) that type of behaviour.
    • I’m going to take off (depart) now.
    • I’ll take off (quantify) the concrete and steel for this construction project.
    • Please take out (remove) the trash before the whole house starts to smell.
    • The books on finance take up (occupy) three shelves.
    • Let’s take up (resume) where we left off.
    • The team threw away (waste) its chance at the semifinals.
    • The baby threw up (vomit) all over my shirt.
    • He turned down (refuse) all our offers of help.
    • Hundreds of people turned out (attend) to see the parade.
    • The bakery turns out (produce) three hundred pies each day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

📚Gds-Tech 📚 EMS

complete skills